Saturday, November 7, 2015

FROM TAIWAN TO TORONTO - Hot-Star Large Fried Chicken


Hot-Star Large Fried Chicken
Location: 374 Yonge Street (Gerrard & Yonge)
Access: Along TTC subway line, street parking available
Price: $9.99 for one piece of chicken
Blogsters' Rating: 2/5


Came across a blogTO post couple days ago introducing this very new restaurant from Taiwan - Hot-Star Large Fried Chicken.  They claimed to be one of the street food that you must get at the Taipei's Shilin Night Market.  I was very curious on the taste and size of their chicken, and here I am on the third day of their soft opening.

Arrived at 10:50am, there was already a short lineup. I was the sixth person in line, so it wasn't that bad.  After taking a couple pictures outside and reading their poster menu, it was already 11am, and I couldn't wait to get in.  Little did I know, they were not ready for customers, we had to wait outside until 11:15am to get in.


After getting into the restaurant, the staff made us wait for another 10 minutes to start taking orders.  They did not inform the customers why or what we are waiting for, but all I see are the floor staff standing around behind the cashier counter.


Anyhow, as I was waiting I learned a little bit more about this restaurant and their chicken.  Each piece of chicken is freshly fried upon order for 7 minutes, so that they are remain fresh and crispy.  In addition, they do not cut the chicken into little bite size pieces for you, as they want to maintain the juiciness and moisture of the chicken.  


Here's a closer look at their menu.  As you can see only the Original Large Fried Chicken is available.  I was told by the cashier that they are limiting to only one order per customer.  I was surprised that there were no signs or notices in the restaurant stating that.  I also wanted to try out their Fried King Oyster Mushroom, but it was unavailable. 


Their pick up area is nice and clean with a huge logo.  I didn't have to wait for the full 7 mins for my chicken to be ready, it was more like 2-3 minutes.  They also have a promotion right now, all fried chicken comes with a free soft drink.  But I still think it's over priced - $9.99 + HST for a piece of fried chicken and a soft drink (this is equivalent to buying 3 pieces of chicken in Taiwan).


Not going to lie, their Original Large Fried Chicken is very delicious.  It's crispy on the outside, while the inside still remains tender and moist.  Definitely one of the best street food I have ever had.

In general, I did not have a great experience at my time visiting this restaurant.  I felt like everything was out of place.  The staff were not well trained.  During my 50 minutes at the restaurant, I spent over 40 minutes waiting because they were not ready to open.  The rating that I gave to them was solely on the taste of their chicken.

TIPS:
-if you would like to try out everything on their menu, I would highly suggest you to visit them at a later time (maybe in a month or so, when they are more settled)
-be prepared to wait in line 
-they have limited quantities of chicken, once they are sold out, they'll call it a night
-availability of their menu is subject to change without notice

xoxo,
Janet



Hot Star Large Fried Chicken Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

3 comments: